Full Time Interim Pastor- Woodstown Presbyterian Church, Woodstown NJ
Length of Time: 1 year w/60 day release clause- may be extended
Hours worked per week: Full Time
Salary/Housing Allowance: $50,000-$55,000
Pensions/Medical: COM approval
SECA: estimated $3900 based on above salary above
Compensation Allowance/Travel Expense: $3400 Continuing Education: $770
Vacation: 4 weeks, including 4 Sundays Study Leave: 10 days
Job Description: As a full time contracted Teaching Elder trained in interim work is needed to provide special interim leadership concerning change, conflict, management, healing, grief work, reconciliation, and planning in regards to preparation for the next Lead Pastor search process. In addition to interim specialty work, this position requires someone with a passion for preaching and teaching God’s word, and the ability to do so in both a contemporary and a traditional worship setting. This person will also work in partnership with another pastor and staff at leading the church in its mission. This position also requires strong ability to focus on administrative tasks using multiple forms of technology (when possible).
This Interim Pastor position will not be considered as a viable candidate for Lead Pastor.
THE SPECIALIZED FUNCTIONS OF THIS MINISTRY WILL BE:
- Help this congregation examine their history and work through the grief process, which usually follows the loss of a minister.
- Address any issues or conflicts existing within the congregation.
- Becoming aware of the congregation’s present identity and mission;
- Coping with power shifts and the rise of new leadership;
- Strengthening denominational connections;
- Committing to a promising future and new pastoral leadership.
- To facilitate a mission study and develop long terms goals for ministry
- Serve as resource to the Mission Study Team
- Prepare the congregation for the call process related to a new Lead Pastor in relation to the work of discernment and healing.
- Help to identify skills needed by the future Pastor to insure clarity of roles and expectations.
- Examine linkage with Presbytery, Synod, and General Assembly, and identify resources that might be available from each of them.
WORSHIP & CONGREGATIONAL CARE
- Co-lead in worship at the contemporary and traditional service with Pastor Eryn (cover the pulpit during her maternity)
- Co-lead Special worship services: Holy Week, Easter, Church Picnic, Fall Kick-Off, Church Has Left the Building, Stewardship, Christmas Eve Worship
- Administer the sacraments (Lead services that fall during maternity leave)
- Officiate at weddings and funerals (during maternity, in partnership with Pastor Eryn)
- Pastoral Care occasionally (in partnership with Stephens Ministers and Pastor Eryn)
- Provide spiritual and administrative leadership for the congregation
- Moderate Session Meetings and work closely with the Session of the Church
- Serve as temporary head of staff during Pastor Eryn’s maternity leave
- Work closely with the Session
- Assist boards and committees in their ministry (during maternity leave)
- Elders, Deacons, Trustees
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings (Lead during maternity of Pastor Eryn)
- Tend to communication including web pages managements and church social media, upkeep of church FB page, communication on the City (in partnership with staff)
- Planning for worship with the staff
- Weekly Church Announcements: coordinate with volunteers to create weekly announcement script, slides, and oversee production of video announcements, prepare announcements for the Traditional service as well, in partnership with staff
- Have and execute a plan for scripture reading and study, including prayer – daily personal spiritual care
- Practice discernment in planning and executing ministry
- To keep confidential all information obtained during course of employment
- Accommodate an irregular work schedule that meets the ministry needs of our church.
- Follow all equal opportunity employment and sexual harassment guidelines.
QUALITIES WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN A CANDIDATE
- Passion for Christ and His Kingdom
- Passion for preaching and teaching
- Passion for serving others
- Leadership skills
- Good communicator and motivator
- Good sense of humor
- Takes initiative but knows how to be a team player
- Strong administrative skills
- Familiar with social media and website maintenance
- Technologically advanced, openness to learn knew things
- A positive track record in church ministry
- An interim process plan that will lead the church through the goals set below
GOALS FOR THE CHURCH AND ITS LEADERSHIP DURING THIS INTERIM PERIOD
The Session and Interim Pastor will work together to lead the congregation through usual interim processes, with assistance of other pastoral staff. In addition to these typical interim processes, the Session and Interim Pastor will develop plans to establish specific interim goals upon the arrival of the Interim Pastor. Goals identified during the current negotiation process may include some or all of the items below.
1. COMING TO TERMS WITH HISTORY
- Feelings, termination emotions, need to be resolved: loss, grief, anger, despair, relief, guilt, and panic. Conflicts of long-standing need to be resolved. Until this happens, a congregation is less able to make good decisions about itself.
2. DISCOVERING A NEW IDENTITY
- Discover what, in general terms, it wishes to become in the future.
3. FACILITATING SHIFTS OF POWER
- Help in leadership shifts making them positive and appropriate to the changing situation.
- May provide leadership training, giving the new pastor a cadre of people who know the when, how and where of church leadership.
4. BUILDING COMMITMENT TO NEW LEADERSHIP AND A NEW FUTURE
- Engage the congregation in this process.
5. FACILITATE THE CALL PROCESS
- Facilitate a mission study and develop long terms goals for ministry
- Serve as resource to PNC
PIF’S SHOULD BE SENT TO SUE BESTWICK:
Or download a PDF copy here: